ERNIE'S TRADING POST
4500 Winnequah Road
The existence of Monona as a separate village originated in a little commercial building located on Winnequah Road. It was in the back room of that grocery store that talks began and plans developed to incorporate Monona as a village, seceding from Blooming Grove Township. Notice of meetings and elections and maps were posted for concerned citizens to study before voting in 1937. Built in 1925, originally intended as a garage, its first use was as a "speakeasy" during the prohibition era. Ernie Ferchland purchased the land and building in 1932. Run as a full-time grocery store by Mr. and Mrs. Ferchland until 1952, it was then sold to Canteen Services for offices and storage. It is now converted to an auto repair service garage, finally putting it to the use for which it was originally intended.