GEORGE KALBFLEISCH FARM

706 West Dean Avenue

 

This stucco and shingle-sided home was the farmhouse of George Kalbfleish, Jr., a first generation American. His father George, Sr., emigrated from German and came to Dane County in 1855, settling on a forty-acre homestead which extended from the present intersection of Winnequah and Schluter Roads to Lake Monona. Around 1903 George, Jr., constructed his home on another forty-acre parcel. The original frame structure consisted of seven rooms and an attractive porch across the front half of the home. In 1918, Joseph Fix purchased the property and continued to work the land as a truck farmer. Later additions to the farm operations included facilities for raising mink and a poultry house.  The poultry house was later purchased by Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church and repurposed to serve as their first place of worship.  Mr. Fix sold the property in 1950 and much of the land was subdivided as residential lots.  The front porch has been removed and a family room now occupies the place of the old back porch.

George Kalbfleisch Jr.