HOFFMAN-KENNEDY DAIRY HORSE BARN
2020 Eastwood Drive
The large painted brick horse barn behind the storefront at 2049 Atwood Ave. was recently renovated to house offices and studios for several local businesses. The old barn was built around the year 1904 by Conrad Hoffman and was purchased by the Kennedy Dairy in 1925. The barn and the office building at 2049 Atwood Avenue, built in 1925-26, served as the east side branch of Madison's largest dairy in the early 20th century. The dairy kept up to ten horses in the building to pull its milk wagons. The Kennedy dairy was sold to the Borden Company in 1938 and in the 1930's the dairy's horses were replaced with trucks. The west side of the old horse barn has ten evenly spaced windows, marking the original horse stalls. The pulleys used to lift hay into the second story lofts are still visible on the gable ends. The building is one of only a handful left in Madison to remind us of the days of the horse and buggy.