JOHN AND CATHERINE SACHS HOUSE
2838 Milwaukee Street
Built in the late 1860's by John and Catherine, this house was constructed of red bricks from a neighboring brick yard. The Sachses were productive market gardeners, farming nine acres of land. In 1870, they had one horse, a cow, three sheep and three swine and raised 300 pounds of hops. They sold $1,000 in produce annually. After her husband's death around 1883, Catherine
Sachs continued gardening, and delivered produce to Madison in a horse-drawn cart. She raised six children and sponsored the emigration of many family members from Bavaria. This house and three others represent Madison's only remaining examples of the dozen or so market gardener's houses that existed in the late 19th century on Madison's fringes.