LOWELL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
401 Maple Avenue
Built in 1916 on the site of former circus grounds, this school originally had eight classrooms as well as domestic science and manual arts rooms and a gymnasium/auditorium. Known at first as the New Irving School, it was renamed Lowell School after American romantic poet James Russell Lowell, at the request of area residents. In 1926 the school was expanded to meet ever increasing enrollment. The two new wings added 11 classrooms and several special purpose rooms. During the 1930's the school featured a nutrition room, a tuberculosis solarium, a full-time nurse and dental clinic. Lowell School was Madison's first school to have a Parent Teacher Association (PTA) and also the first to participate in the federal hot lunch program.
Wisconsin Historical Images ID#13455