2922-2926 Atwood Avenue
This building was constructed in 1904 as the Schlitz Hotel. From 1916 to 1925, Thomas Bewick ran it as the Fair Oaks Hotel. A livery was connected to the hotel where people parked their horses and cutters when they went to church at nearby St. Bernard's. The hotel also featured a billiard hall and ice cream parlor that became popular meeting places for local residents. Later the building served briefly as a hardware store and a Krogers grocery. In 1930 it became Weinschel's department store, a well-known local landmark operated by Adolph and Janet Weinschel until 1968. In 1973 the building was converted into an electrical appliance store.