2718 Milwaukee Street
This house was originally built between 1861 and 1873 by Frederick Stang, a Bavarian immigrant, and his family. The Stangs, like their neighbors the Sachses, earned their living as market gardeners. In 1883, the family of Jacob Wirth, a German immigrant and laborer, bought the house and significantly enlarged it using bricks from the Gerstenbrei brick yard which was located at the west corner of East Washington Ave. and North St. The home has maintained most of its historical integrity and original charm. The four segmented arched windows, the small leaded glass window, and the decorative porch with spindled posts and spindled frieze add grace and character to this simple Victorian farmhouse.